Italian Neorealism

After the fall of the Fascist government in Italy and the end of World War II, the rest of the world was finally introduced to Italian cinema. Most Directors before this time was held back by fascist censorship. Being finally freed by thissuch directors like Alessandro Blasetti, Augusto Genina, Roberto Rossellini, were able to showcase their style of cinematic realism. The style was called Italian Neorealism which Depited stories about poor working class where they would frequently film on location rather than on set, and the style even seem documentary like. Because of this such works as Roma, città aperta (Roberto Rossellini, 1945), Umberto D. (Vittorio De Sica, 1952), and Vittorio De Sica’s Ladri di Biciclette also known as The Bicycle Thief was created.

In Aesthetic of Reality: Neorealism by Andre Bazin he discusses his belief of the orgin of the style which he dates back to Renaissance and not something that is “spontaneously generated”. He acknowledges the roles that the government and economic state had a large part in the productions of that time. He also believes that Fascism allowed the country unlike Nazism to have artistic pluralism. Seeming to be very against politics he even goes on to say that all commercial productions where being completely controlled capitalist. He describes the films as repressed social outlets by stating “The reslist trend, the domestic satirical, and social description of everyday life, the sensitive and poeticverism, were, before the war, minor qualities, modest violets flowering at the feet of the giant sequoias of production.”  Overall that the liberation of the country is what allowed such a style to grow new meaning and direction.

4 Responses to “Italian Neorealism”

1. Daniel Agudelo Says:

I also think a clear theme in Umberto D. was social classes, you could see varying degrees of this in the maid Maria, Umberto, and Olga the land lady. I agree that the music in the movie was great, it was heartfelt, sad, and yes the last scene got me teary eyed a bit. I can see how these types of movies would be an outlet and a way for social classes to show how they really felt.

2. alberto wong Says:

Hi admin, are you interested in more traffic for your site?

3. About Onno Vocks Says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and amusing, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something too few people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy I found this in my hunt for something relating to this.

4. vocks Says:

However, how can we communicate?|